Upcoming Events Across Ontario
- This event has passed.
Culinary Historians of Canada Exhibit Launch (Virtual): Healthy, Happy, and Wholesome: Cooking and Wellness in Canadian History
May 31 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Join us for a virtual exhibit launch!
The Culinary Historians of Canada is collaborating with the University of Guelph on their new student exhibition, Healthy, Happy, and Wholesome: Cooking and Wellness in Canadian History. The exhibition will launch tomorrow, Tuesday, May 31 at 7:30 p.m. with a discussion from some of the project partners, including our own Fiona Lucas.
Inspired by the conversations about health stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Guelph history students who created this digital exhibit invite you to explore how Canadians thought about healthy eating and wellness in the past by examining cookbooks from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The event will include a brief virtual tour of the exhibit and formal remarks from:
- Dr. Rebecca Beausaert, University of Guelph Adjunct Professor in the Department of History
- Ashley Shifflett McBrayne, Acting Special Collections Librarian, University of Guelph
- Dr. Catherine Carstairs, University of Guelph Professor in the Department of History
- Gary Draper, donor of many of the featured cookbooks
- Anne Lindsay, O.C., Home economist and Canadian food writer
- Fiona Lucas, Culinary historian and cofounder of the Culinary Historians of Canada
Hope to see you there!